Computer Security & Viruses/Does free MS Essential Virus Protection

Question
I am a little confuse.  Does Microsoft Essential Virus Protection end also for Window XP.  

Can I continue to use the free Microsoft Essential Virus Protection on my cmputer and it works.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Hi Sallie

Microsoft Essential will continue to get updates for Windows XP.  The only thing that stops is the updates for the operating system itself.  You will not be able to run any Windows Updates, as Microsoft has now stopped supporting the XP operating system.  Security Essentials, and other antivirus programs will still continue to receive virus definitions and updates to the program.  If, in the future, there is a security flaw found in the XP operating system, Microsoft will no longer patch that flaw, and a hacker can potentially cause harm to your system that no antivirus can stop.  This is why they have advised everyone to update their systems to at least Windows 7 in order to avoid these unpatched holes.  I have told everyone who runs XP that they should backup their important documents, pictures, etc. to a secure external storage if they wish to continue running XP for any amount of time.  Also, begin to look into purchasing a new computer, as prices continue to be reasonable.  While your computer is not totally naked to the internet while running Microsoft Essential, the potential does exist for a future severe vulnerability.

Brian  

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky