Computer Security & Viruses/Hi Brian

Question
A friend of mine has had trouble with her email acct.  Her acct is sending out spam.  I told her to change her email password and install anti-virus sw and I would be glad to lend her my "Norton360 CD for the PC".  However, then she told me that she is using an ipad.  so I'm not sure what to tell her with regards to my advice about anti-virus sw.  Does she need it? (I think an ipad won't take my "Norton360 for the PC" right? If she needs it, is the only way for her to get it is to download it from the Internet?)4

Answer
Hi Wing

Most of the time, when an email account seems to be sending spam, it's the account name being spoofed.  In other words, the From: section is made to look like your friends email name, but it is really being sent out of another account.  You'll need to check the email headers to find out if this is the case.  
Of course, you were correct in advising her to change the password.  If her account was hacked, this will correct the problem.  She will notice quickly if the spam emails stopped by doing this, and it's always a good idea to change passwords when hacking is suspected.
As for the antivirus, Norton will not work, but there are apps she can download from the app store that will scan her ipad.  It was once true that Mac and iOS devices were risk-free from viruses.  With the growing popularity of the platform, comes the increased security risks.  They are fewer in number than on the Windows platform, but they do exist.  Have her download the app VirusBarrier:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virusbarrier/id436111378?mt=8
One last thing to check is if she ever logged onto her email from another machine, such as a Windows PC.  She may not be infected, but that PC might be.  Doesn't hurt to check.  
Cheers!

Brian  

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky