Computer Security & Viruses/malware

Question
How often is a program like malwarebytes overly sensitive and picks up objects that are actually not at all threatening?

Answer
Hi James

While I can't give you exact figures, anti-malware programs do a very good job at separating the bad from the not-so-bad.  According to Malwarebytes:

"There may be an occasion when the file(s) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detects are not actually malicious.  This is known as a false positive.  While Malwarebytes aims for perfection, the unfortunate reality is that no product can be perfect, however we do try to prevent these false positives from becoming commonplace."

Additionally, Potentially Unwanted Programs or PUPs are detected more often now so that the user can decide whether or not the program or file is worth the risk to keep.  Again, from Malwarebytes:

"Malwarebytes feels most of our users have no knowledge that these PUPs were installed and would like them removed. Several thousand forum posts and support tickets confirm our standpoint. Ranging from difficult to uninstall applications to software that makes you opt-out, we’ve had enough of it all!"

Hope that helps answer your question.  Cheers!

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky