Computer Security & Viruses/Problems with Java

Hi Brian,

I'm having problems installing Java Updates.  When I get a message that updates are available and try to install them, it fails.

When trying to find out why the updates are failing (by Google search) I read that Java is suseptible to hacking and viruses.

I have the free version of Avast and am running Windows 7.

If you think it would be safe to update Java, can you tell me how to proceed?  If you think I should get rid of Java, what's the best way to do it?

Thank you.

Hi Steven

Not only is it safe to update Java, it is necessary in order to keep your PC secure.  When you receive the update balloon, click on it in order to install the latest Java update.  The installer will ask if you want to install some toolbars along with it, so you must uncheck the boxes.  After installing, Java will open a browser to run a test of the installed version.  It will also ask if you want to install a Java checker which searches for old, unsecure versions and uninstalls them for you.  Go ahead and do this.  Once completed, you will be all set.  If you have further questions, just let me know.

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills