Computer Security & Viruses/opera sign in hesitation

This is a follow up question to your asking for the OS and Opera version:

OS:  XP home
Opera 23.0

Wait time for ID and PW to come up is about 15 to 20 secs.

I suspect your basic problem is that you have XP. Microsoft stopped supporting it in April of this year.

Having had XP for so long, your hard drive needs to be defragmented. Click help --> defrag and follow directions.

Next, your registry probably had accumulated many errors. This is harder to fix. I recommend installing Norton 360. It automatically tunes up your computer and should fix your registry. In addition, you can run a complete scan of your computer and Norton will usually eradicate all forms of malware -- viruses, worms, bot, you name it.

I also recommend using the Chrome browser, free from

If this doesn't work, let me know and I can offer more drastic solutions.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs