Computer Security & Viruses/ransome virus

I have the virus that locks the pc until you pay them. I know its a scam I do not know anything about computers. I see that fixme stick ad on tv and wonder if it would work on my pc. Thanks for any advice

The Fixme stick oftentimes solves the problem, but not always. In addition, if you have important files you don't want to lose, the Fixme Stick might just quarantine them if they are infected with viruses. This makes it impossible for you to access them until you can install and run an antivirus program that could fix them. In some cases the fFixme Stick might make it impossible to boot your computer, but on the other hand it has an undo feature that can possibly help. Here's a review of the Fixme Stick from a reputable source:,2817,2405102,00.asp

Another solution is to take your computer to a repair shop, but you need to be careful to make certain they also do data recovery and specify that they must save all your data. Some repair shops will just reformat your hard drive and reinstall your operating system and you will lose all your data.  

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs