Computer Security & Viruses/Samsung Smart TV & Internet

Question
Hi

Purchased a Samsung Smart TV just recently. I have an Asus running Windows 7, 64 bit.

I am unable to get on the internet at the same time we are using the router to work on Smart TV processes.

When we are using the router to connect to the TV, the computer acts weird or erratically; and Internet Explorer doesn't work. When we switch the cables and bypass the router, the internet works but not the router and TV.

Received tech advice from D-Link (DIR605L). Nothing they advised worked."

He also talked with an Amazon rep re the new TV set-up, he said to get in touch with D-Link.

I have spend hours on the phone on and off trying to rectify the problem.  

I am hoping you can help give me some insight into what the problem might be.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Earl

Assuming the D-Link rep walked you through installing the latest firmware and checking your settings, I'm afraid there is not much you can do.  That particular router was built on the N300 platform, and was fine for when it was first released back in 2011.  In order to use the demanding bandwidth of today's Smart TV's along with other devices (laptops, cell phones, etc.), you need a more recent router that has a better throughput.  Look at the chart below for an idea of the different router speeds.  

http://blog.dlink.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ACSpeedChart-copy.jpg

I was having a similar problem recently with slowdown and lag on my old Netgear WNDR-3400.  A few weeks ago, I purchased the TP-Link Archer C8 router, and could not be happier.  Streaming Netflix on my Smart TV while using my laptop is fast and smooth.  Not to mention it's great range so the other family members can do the same on their devices at the same time.  It's about $100 on Amazon.  The link is below.  

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C8-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00N2ROH0C/ref=sr_1

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Brian  

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky