Computer Security & Viruses/Internet Explorer Problem (Corrected E-Mail)

The e-mail I sent you at 3:41 PM was incorrect.  I apologize.

While I was able to run rkill (and will provide the log again below), I wasn't able to run adwcleaner. When I clicked the Scan button I got the message "ADWcleaner has stopped working".

I tried rebooting my computer and doing the scan a second time - but got the same message.

Because of the problem I never got to do the cleaning.

Below is the information from rkill:

Rkill 2.7.0 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler) Copyright 2008-2015 More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:

Program started at: 06/20/2015 03:08:34 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* No issues found.

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 06/20/2015 03:10:42 PM Execution time: 0 hours(s), 2 minute(s), and 7 seconds(s)"

ANSWER: Hi Steven

I'm sorry you had problems running the program.  RKill did not find any processes to stop, so that's a plus.  Try disabling any Antivirus programs you have running and try AdwCleaner once more.  If it still does not work, download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-malware from here:

Install, run a scan, and delete any malware it finds.  Save the log which opens and copy it to me in a follow-up.

QUESTION: I Googled ways to temporarily disable avast anti-virus but the instructions I got can't be implemented. Using the instructions I found don't provide me a way to turn off the program. I don't even know what version of avast I have because going to properties doesn't provide and useful information

Hi Steven

No worries.  As I said, if you are unable to temporarily disable your Antivirus, download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-malware from here:

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills