Computer Security & Viruses/Internet Explorer Problems

HI Brian,
Iím having problems with Internet Explorer.

I signed up for Vonage and I cannot get to the page I want to manage my account.  No matter what url I use to get the page I want, it take me to a Vonage marketing page.  I spoke to Vonage and they think that somehow an affiliate marketer has modified Internet Explorer to limit my access.

Even when I get a legitimate e-mail from Vonage and try and click on their embedded links, I still go to the same marketing page.

I tried uninstalling Internet Explorer and reinstalling it, and I got a message it could not complete installation.  However Internet Explorer did work; but I had the same problem.

I tried using Spybot and the first time afterwards when I used Internet Explorer it worked; but not anytime afterwards.
I canít even find Internet Explorer again so I can delete it.
I can get to the right Vonage page if I use Google Chrome, but Iíd rather use Internet Explorer.

Additionally, I use as my home page in Explorer.  Recently, another box opened up on the home page and I canít get rid of it.  At the top of the box is a toolbar, which is partially obliterated because the images are superimposed. The toolbar reads: one note, office, skype, and one drive.

I also get pop-ups on the page and get redirected to other sites even though I donít allow pop-ups to occur.  On one occasion I quickly got a glimpse saying that one of the programs was called ďTremorsĒ is causing a problem.  I canít find Tremors under my list of programs

Also, I have Internet Explorer 10 and Windows 7 Ultimate.  Although I checked the box to get updates automatically, I never went to Internet Explorer 11.  My wifeís computer now has Internet Explorer 11.

Any suggestions?

Hi Steven

While the "toolbar" is something that Microsoft has recently added, it does sound like there is some sort of adware going on regardless.  Let's start by running two programs.  Please download RKill from here:

Run the program, and allow it time to finish.  It will open and save a notepad log when done.

Next, download and run AdwCleaner from here:

You will click the Scan button first, allow the scan to complete, then click the Clean button.  Upon completion, you will need to reboot.  Another notepad log will pop up after reboot, so save that.

Finally, copy and paste both logs to me in a reply so I can see if further action is needed.

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills