Computer Security & Viruses/Misc. Computer Question

QUESTION: Hi Carolyn! Thank you for taking your time to answer questions and help others with computer issues.

I realize this is not a Computer Security question but I did not know where to ask.I downloaded Publisher as an Electronic Software do I save it to a disc or an external harddrive for future installations? Say in the event of a computer crash........

Thank you very much!!!

ANSWER: Could you give me more information, please? What operating system are you using? Are you perhaps asking about the free version of Microsoft Publisher?

QUESTION: I am sorry.....should have included more information. I am running Windows 7. I purchased Microsoft Publisher as an electronic download from Walmart. I like having a CD to re-install from in the event my computer crashes, etc.

Thank you!!!

There is a very slight possibility that the installation files are in your Downloads folder. Look for a file or directory dated the day you download-installed this program.

Normally, however, these sorts of Windows installations place files in the C:> Windows >Temp folder. Look for a file or directory dated the day you download-installed this program. Unfortunately, some installation programs delete their files when done.

If neither of these locations has these files, contact technical support at Misrosoft. For a small fee, they often will provide the installation program on CD.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs