Computer Security & Viruses/Get Windows 10 Icon on Task Bar

Question
Hi Brian,

Yesterday I got a new icon on my task bar that says "Get Windows 10".  I currently have Windows 7.

I clicked on it and read the offer and it wasn't clear whether there would be any cost or why the icon was placed on my computer.

I googled to find a way to get rid of it and the suggestion was to delete GWX under processes in the task manager. I deleted it and today it came back.

How can I delete it permanently? Would you recommend that I get Windows 10?

Answer
Hi Steven

This icon is installed with Windows Update.  Specifically, update KB3035583.  To remove KB3035583, first open Windows Update, then click “Installed Updates” in the bottom-left corner.  Find the update and click to uninstall it.  You’ll be asked to confirm and then you will need to restart your computer.  The icon will be gone.  If, however, you have Windows set to automatically install updates, the update will once again install itself.  To hide the KB3035583 update and prevent it from being reinstalled, right-click on it in Windows Update and select to “Hide update”.  
The Windows 10 upgrade is free to all users of Windows 7, 8, & 8.1.  It will be released for download on July 29th, and it is a recommended upgrade for it's security and user enhancements.

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky