Computer Security & Viruses/Computer Not Turning Off and Misc

Hi Brian,

So far everything is working well thanks to your help.  

Last week I thought I shut down my computer and 2 1/2 hours later it was still in the process of shutting down (the blue circle spinning around).  I had to turn it off by pressing the power button.  Yesterday it happened again and I hit power after 15 minutes.  Most times this is not a problem. Is this due to a virus or could something be processing that I'm not aware of?  Usually if there are updates to be processed when I'm shutting down I'm notified.

Also, can you give me links to programs I should install and run on a periodic basis to try and keep my computer virus free.

Lastly, when I ran Spybot on my wife's computer it asked about deleting thousands of temporary files.  Should I delete them next time?

Thanks again

Hi Steven

Temporary files are safe to delete.  Most are remnants of installed programs or internet files which are unnecessary.  Deleting these will free up hard drive space and may help speed up your computer.  

I think we ran just about every virus and adware cleaner recently while fixing your computer.  But I would run a quick Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan once a week, and a full scan once a month. Also, make sure your antivirus program is updated daily.  Use a pop-up blocker as well and your computer should remain trouble-free.

As for the shut down problem, that usually points to a program or process that is not closing properly.  Download the following:

Unzip and run the program.  Under the User Accounts and UAC tab, click to Enable Verbose Status Messages.  When you shut down, the computer should now let you know what it's doing.  This will help you identify at which point Windows stops the shutting down process.  You can then uninstall or disable the offending program.  Let me know if you need further help with this.

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills