Computer Security & Viruses/Pop Ups

Question
Hi Brian,

I just got back on the computer and got the following pop-up at the bottom of my MSN home page when I opened Internet Explorer .

"We are updating our Terms of Use and Privacy Statement"

I did not click on the box to learn more, I just closed it.  But the box appeared again when I reopened Internet Explorer.

I hovered over the link of "learn more" and it was an address at Microsoft.

Am I being too paranoid about opening links?

Answer
Hi Steven

That's a normal function of IE after an update.  Through the scans we did, Windows is now free to update normally, so you may occasionally get non-threatening pop-ups.  There's nothing to worry about unless you start seeing advertising pop-ups.  You may also wish to enable the built-in IE pop-up blocker if you haven't already:

http://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-the-Pop%E2%80%90Up-Blocker-in-Internet-Explorer

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky