Computer Security & Viruses/Pop Ups

Hi Brian,

I just got back on the computer and got the following pop-up at the bottom of my MSN home page when I opened Internet Explorer .

"We are updating our Terms of Use and Privacy Statement"

I did not click on the box to learn more, I just closed it.  But the box appeared again when I reopened Internet Explorer.

I hovered over the link of "learn more" and it was an address at Microsoft.

Am I being too paranoid about opening links?

Hi Steven

That's a normal function of IE after an update.  Through the scans we did, Windows is now free to update normally, so you may occasionally get non-threatening pop-ups.  There's nothing to worry about unless you start seeing advertising pop-ups.  You may also wish to enable the built-in IE pop-up blocker if you haven't already:

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills