Computer Security & Viruses/cloud computing

Question
QUESTION: Hmmmm...this topic, "Computer Security and Viruses", is the closest thing I can find on allexperts that would address the all-popular topic of cloud computing.  I would like to know if you could explain Dropbox better than their own help files can.  I downloaded it on my desktop.  I downloaded it on my laptop (same username and password).  But when I make a change to one, it does not change the other?  Am I getting the whole principle wrong?

Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Robin

You are not wrong, but Dropbox may not be working correctly.  A file is added to or changed on your computer, which is then placed into your Dropbox folder on the desktop.  That Dropbox folder is synced to your Dropbox folder on the Dropbox website.  In turn, when you go to your other computer, the Dropbox folder on that one gets synced with the now changed folder online.  If they are not syncing, then one of your files may be causing trouble for the Dropbox servers.  For more info, and to correct syncing problems, see this help page:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/145

Cheers!

Brian

QUESTION: Hi Brian, and thank you much....

May I ask also, I recently saw a commercial for Go Daddy, comparing itself to DropBox, and saying they are the same, but better.  What do you think?

Answer
Hi Robin

I am not a website builder, but I believe that you can use Dropbox to host files for your site, specifically GoDaddy domain sites.  Also, according to the site I've linked to below, GoDaddy does offer Cloud File Storage, but it is not as secure as other solutions:

http://www.top10cloudstorage.com/?s=godaddy

Personally, I am 'old school' and prefer my backups done on a separate hard drive connected to my PC.  There has been, and most likely will continue to be, leaks of information hosted online.  Supposed secure sites have been hacked and personal data released.  I have a Western Digital MyBook external drive that backs up my data without fear of hacks.  Then again, I do use Dropbox to host some files I need remote access to, so it is a necessary evil I suppose.  Hope that helps!

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky