Computer Security & Viruses/malware

Thanks for getting back to me. ironically, all of those 3 links failed to download when I tried to get them. Not sure why.

How about now?

Were you able to go to the Microsoft pages about XP?

QUESTION: So close James. I attempted to download shouldiremoveit and it said I needed windows installer 3.1. I downloaded that and got shouldiremoveit to download. Last in the list was unchecky v0.4.2 and I clicked on it and it disappeared, the line item, as if it was deleting it. THEN after 2 seconds, my comp restarted. I almost though it worked, so close. So not sure what is going to remove this thing. Thanks.

ANSWER: The persistence of this problem likely has to do with the fact you're still using XP. Try one more application:

Also see:

Another option: Make sure you're logged in as Administrator and see:

1. Support for Windows XP has ended
Microsoft ended support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This change has affected your software updates and security options. Learn what this means for you and how to stay protected.

2. Resolution
Run the troubleshooter to fix the problem automatically
To fix this problem automatically, run the "Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled" troubleshooter to repair issues that block program installation or removal because of corrupted registry keys.
Fix the problem manually
Important To perform many of the methods and steps in this article, you must be logged on to your computer as an administrator.

QUESTION: I tried system restore, but said could not complete. After many attempts and trying this that and the other thing. I have found some success, I think. I wasn't able to download iobit, wouldn't work. So I googled program wont uninstall, got some help from a thread where I went into regedit, deleted unchecky, went into msconfig deleted unchecky, all in safe mode and finally there is no sight of it in add/remove programs. I downloaded hyjack this and got the final remnant that showed up. Ran Glary and some other things and it seems it is all gone now. Or so I hope. Thanks for your help. Without it, I may have not found a solution.

Great! Glad I could help, MJ. And glad you were able to use regedit. I always hesitate to go there unless I'm sure the user knows what they're doing. Remember to upgrade as soon as possible, as XP will continue to have more issues than newer, MS supported systems.

Computer Security & Viruses

James Filmer

Viruses, Spam, hacking, Rootkits, Trojans, Keyloggers, all other forms of Malware, Internet access problems, slow systems, application and system instability, network abuse, Firewalls, layered security configurations, system maintenance support and general troubleshooting.

System, network and website administrator