Computer Security & Viruses/What to do...

Hello James,
I have an older 2003 Dell Dimension 4550 running windows XP. It used to be a great comp. Recently I've been stumbling across malware, viruses and trojans. I run Avast Antivirus and use Mozilla Firefox. I also have an array of helper programs I run often i.e. Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Glary utilities, Spybot, Pandasafe cd among some. Recently I was online and a box popped up for updating flash video, which I thought was legit because the site I was one was one I'd been to before. I assumed I needed an update, it started downloading and by the time it was 3/4way finished, only 20 secs or so, I started having 2nd thoughts. So I cancelled the download before it could finish and my comp immediately shut down and restarted. I got it up and running again after about 5mins because it wasn't cooperating so I knew it got infected. I ran all my programs, all of them only picking up minor stuff except for Malwarebytes which picked up a few things and quarantined them. Then I was able to get back into the control panel and delete unfamiliar programs. Initially I couldn't get in, it would restart the comp. I delete everything except one program that is proving to be a complete nuisance. It is Unchecky v0.4.2. When I highlight it and press uninstall, it sets the comp into restart and does this every time. So my question is, how do I get rid of this program? I'm back up and running decent again,but that program is still in there and I don't know what it is doing. Thanks for your help.

Hello MJ,

Try using the free application, shouldiremoveit:

Whichever you choose, I would suggest downloading the installation package to your desktop and choose the custom install option (or some other similar terminology option). You want to make sure you're not installing anything else like a toolbar, search engine, browser or other application that sometimes comes with free software. If you need more help with this, just ask.

Also, in case you didn't know or may have forgotten, Microsoft security update support for XP ended.

Computer Security & Viruses

James Filmer

Viruses, Spam, hacking, Rootkits, Trojans, Keyloggers, all other forms of Malware, Internet access problems, slow systems, application and system instability, network abuse, Firewalls, layered security configurations, system maintenance support and general troubleshooting.

System, network and website administrator