Computer Security & Viruses/MP3 Ransom Virus

Question
Hi Brian,

I think I've lost all my files forever.  But thought I'd run my problem by you for advice.  

This morning Sitelock said one of my Hostgator sites had malware.  I looked it up in my browser, and decided to delete the site (not an important one).  Very shortly windows asked me to say yes or no to a change to the computer, with the words along the lines it was "Microsoft Corporation" and to do with the control and command center.  I stupidly said yes.  Then had qualms about it.  Turned out, it was the MP3 ransom virus.  All my hard work of years, and my partner's, is now in the form of unreadable mp3 files.  And there is some kind of recovery instruction file that opened on the browser tell me what to do to recover them.  So one of my own infected sites infected my PC.

My plan is to hand my computer over the computer shop to reinstall windows ie. start a new.  Lesson learned.  I might have a back up of some of the files lying somewhere.

Any advice, comments?

Thanks.

Usuff

Answer
Hi Usuff

I'm sorry to hear of your plight in regards to this ransomware, and I apologize for taking this long to get back to you as I have been working odd hours lately.  Yes, as you have found, the virus has encrypted your important files into unusable files.  You cannot open them without a 'key' that unlocks the encryption.  The only options are to either pay the ransom or wipe your computer.  Even if you decided to pay the ransom, there is no guarantee the will send you the key, as you are dealing with untrustworthy types to say the least.  So yes, reinstall Windows by formatting the drive first.  

As for your website, I do recommend reading the following blog:

http://themefuse.com/having-an-adventure-time-with-malware-in-wordpress-how-to-h

It describes how you can avoid this problem in the future.  Don't be too hard on yourself though, as this is becoming a common occurrence.  Just get in the habit of creating regular backups in the future.  Good luck!

Brian  

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky