Computer Security & Viruses/Windows 10 pop-ups

Hi Brian,

Is there any way to temporarily disable the Windows 10 pop-ups without losing the opportunity to get the free upgrade before Microsoft starts charging for it?  I want to install it eventually but am concerned that it will cause problems. I already know that it's not compatible with my printer and don't want to trash a perfectly fine printer.

Also, will I ultimately have to upgrade to Windows 10 (right now I have 7)?  I was forced to upgrade to Explorer 11 in order to use my computer bill pay with my bank

Thank you.

Hi Steven

There are several methods to get rid of those pop-ups.  I recommend installing the program GWX Control Panel, which will make the process a bit easier than manually editing files and updates:

Read the following article on how Microsoft is using strong arm tactics to get users to upgrade to 10:

It looks like Microsoft has started to force upgrades, and not everyone likes that idea.  Eventually, they will discontinue support for Windows 7 just as they did with XP.  But you have a couple of years before that happens.  I do recommend upgrading to 10 though.  It corrected the major flaws of Windows 8 and has some very good features.  And the best part is you can downgrade back to 7 if you don't like it.  Compare the two operating systems here:

Hope that helps!

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills