Computer Security & Viruses/vpn security

i'm currently using internet via a public wifi hotspot (in hotel). its going to be my situation for the next few wks and i plan on doing some online shopping. i plan on installing a vpn (cyberghost?). i was wondering how does using public wifi with a vpn compare to the gold standard that is essentially surfing on your own network (without a vpn)? will having a vpn provide enough protection from hackers, or there other things i'd have to take care of as well? thanks

HI Luke,

I tend not to answer questions that are answered by many excellent educational sites. However, for not only your sake, but for the general public reading these answers, I'll provide a few links I hope will help you decide with assurance that using a VPN is the best way to go. And, you should still use a reputable antivirus and Firewall, and at least one anti-spyware application, and delete temporary files, all or some cookies and history.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask for clarification about anything you're not sure about.

(Suggested donation $10.00 or any amount)

Computer Security & Viruses

James Filmer

Viruses, Spam, hacking, Rootkits, Trojans, Keyloggers, all other forms of Malware, Internet access problems, slow systems, application and system instability, network abuse, Firewalls, layered security configurations, system maintenance support and general troubleshooting.

System, network and website administrator