Concussions - Head and Neck Injury/Injured Disc in Neck

QUESTION: Hi Im a 19 year old heavyweight boxer and i need a big strong neck to help absorb better punches. Now I currently have a 16-16 1/2 inch neck and my goal is a 19 inch neck. Ive been doing neck bridges for about a month and just recently i hurt my neck because of lack of warm-up and my head kept slipping when i was doing it. Now im sure i injured a disc in my neck and im afraid to bridge now. Its not extreme or anything. Just when i put any strain or put my neck at certain angles i feel a sharp pinch around that disc.
So my question to you is how should i go about training my neck to reach my goal and when should i start to bridge again without making my injury worse?

First of all, if you did injure your neck you should find out how bad.  Getting a proper examination by a cervical spine specialist would be a smart first step.  Is there subluxation or mis- alignment? Is there disc involvement and if so to what degree?
As a boxer, if you would like to have a long career, your best chance would be to have an Upper Cervical Specific Doctor in your corner.
Not only is this the sensible choice to get out of the trouble you are in now, but just as importantly to provide you with a strong and stable and properly aligned cervical spine in going forward.
Once you are in a stable position, then and only then would you be ready to strengthen properly and get the most that you possibly can out of your body.  
We see Boxers, MMA fighters, Football players, Lacrosse, Hockey etc. and we always teach to stabilize and properly align first, then we teach to strengthen.
If you have any further questions including a possible referral just ask away, I am happy to help you if I can .

All The Best,

Robert Arnone, DC
St Louis, MO

QUESTION: Thank you. But i felt around the disc and it feels like its sticking out but i dont know if its always like that.

Even if i went light and used maybe a head harness do you think there is anyway to train around it?

The problem is that I do not know the extent of your neck injury so that makes it extremely difficult, if not impossible to give you proper advice.  
For example, you may have a disc problem such as a bulge or herniation, this may require rest and re-alignment of the vertabrae above or below the injury.  Using it more could actually make the injury worse and then you will be forced to make some very important decisions regarding your health and your future.
This is not to be taken lightly until you find out otherwise.
I am sorry if this is not what you are wanting to hear, but I am here to give you sound sensible advice with your health and your future as a top priority.

All The Best,

Dr Robert Arnone  

Concussions - Head and Neck Injury

Robert A. Arnone, D.C.

I can answer questions in regards to head or neck injury mainly in regards to youth or adult athletes. In my St Louis Office I have extensive experience in helping Concussion patients and those suffering from Whiplash Injury after a Car Accident. I cannot answer any questions in regards to Medications or Surgeries unless the person is looking for an option to improve or regain their health without Drugs or Surgery.

I am a board certified and licensed doctor that specializes in the head-neck injury in children & adults. I have helped Concussed Athletes from as young as 2 years old to The Professional Level with 90% Results of some improvement, much improvement, or total improvement. My unique approach is very different from what other doctors and hospitals are doing in regards to head-neck injury. We look at a physical aspect of this phenomenon, measure it, analyze it and correct it in order to achieve the amazing results that we are seeing.

MSCA AMC St Louis Mens Lacrosse League - Player St Louis Kings Lacrosse Club - Select Team Coach Metro Lacrosse - Coach

Ladue News City Holistic

Elmont Memorial High School Nassau Junior College Adelphi University Life University

2010 Hawk Award - AMC 2011 Eagle Award - AMC

NHL Star Player from St Louis Blues - Problem was shown to him, then corrected, within a few short months he was back and playing with no problems after being out for a year. 10 year old Lacrosse Star-Had Concussion and exhibited fatigue following. We corrected the head-neck mis-alignment and he was better by the next day.