Concussions - Head and Neck Injury/fell & hit head.

Question
QUESTION: I am 72 years old, I fell out of my Golf Cart two weeks before Thanksgiving. I badly bruised my right arm, my head did not hurt too bad at the time. I was a little disoriented at first but then felt okay.  Now 4 weeks later my head is sore when I lay on a pillow? Could there be a problem?

ANSWER: Miss Dolores,

It is quite possible that you are experiencing the effects of a Spinal Subluxation. This is when there is a trauma to the body that is sufficient enough to cause the small bones of your upper neck to get misaligned with the base of your head. This can bring on pain or other symptoms but many times does not. Since it does not take a large amount of force in most cases to subluxate the upper neck that is likely the major cause. Please understand that I cannot wholeheartedly provide this diagnosis without first analyzing you or your films. This is why I would highly suggest that you get examined by a specialist  in your area if possible. I will have you know that there are very few of these "Brainstem Specialists" worldwide. In Colorado there is a very good one in Dr Erin Elster in Boulder. You may have to travel but she would be worth it.
Until you can get to her, you can try some ice at the back of your neck to help reduce some of the inflammation that is likely occurring there as a result. Remember that nothing and no one replaces the work that Dr Elster or myself provide because we are only interested in one thing: Locating and Correcting The Cause. Anything different than that falls short.

All the best to you,

Dr Robert Arnone
Head-Neck Injury Specialty
Concussions & Whiplash
Arnone Specific Chiropractic
711 Old Ballas Road Suite 104
St Louis, Missouri 63141
(314)995-5719

QUESTION: Thank you for your reply.  The problem is that my head is sore to the touch on my skull to the left of my ear I would say mid skull.  My neck seems fine on rotation but when I rotate it does cause pain in the skull area.

Answer
Miss Dolores,
That is because the pain in your head is likely being caused by your neck being misaligned.
The way to know for sure is to get checked by a specialist.  It is this action-step that most of the time produces the desired result.

All the best,
Dr Robert Arnone
Head-Neck Injury Specialty
Concussions & Whiplash
Arnone Specific Chiropractic
711 Old Ballas Road Suite 104
St Louis, Missouri 63141
(314)995-5719

Concussions - Head and Neck Injury

Robert A. Arnone, D.C.