Concussions - Head and Neck Injury/whiplash injury

Question
Hi Dr.,

I am a 28 year old female. 2 weeks ago I was snowboarding when I fell backwards onto my upperback/neck. I did not hit my head but got whiplash from the fast backward movement that I did not feel until later that night. The front of my neck hurt to the touch, when I moved it left or right and when sitting up from a flat position. My neck pain seemed to completely heal after about 5 days and I have been exercising. My question is this: I am wondering if I should have gone to the Dr. for a MRI/CT scan to make sure I did not sustain any head trauma from the whiplash. I have heard that sometimes head injuries can show up out of nowhere weeks after an accident and can be life threatening. Do you think that I should get checked out? I sometimes have a very mild head ache off and on and don't think I lost consciousness at all after the fall. I'm not sure if I am overly worried or have a real reason to be concerned.

Thank you.

Answer
Miss Britt,
When it comes to head-neck injuries it is best to see the appropriate health professional and get an explanation of what is happening with you and if you do or do not need any specific care.
The best person to see for a potential head-neck injury especially if it is not an injury requiring first-aid would be the Upper Cervical Specific Doctor.  I would be happy to see if I could find you a great referral to another specialist like myself in your area.

Please send me your zip code and town and I will see what I can do for you.

All The Best,
Dr Robert Arnone
Head-Neck Injury Specialty
Concussions & Whiplash
Brainstem Procedure
St Louis, MO 63141
(314)995-5719

Concussions - Head and Neck Injury

Robert A. Arnone, D.C.