Condo Law/HOA Late Fees

Question
Hello, I live in los angeles California and at the beginning of this year (January 2014)my condo management company sent me a letter stating that I owe $440.00 in late fees and I have 7 days to pay it or they will send me to collections. My question is; does this company have to send me a notice of the debt when it is incurred or can they just send a letter as they did demanding payment in full within 7 days with out otherwise notifying me that I've been charged late fees? Thank you for your time and information.

Answer
I can only talk about the state of Florida. Here is Florida when someone is late they send the person a note after being late two weeks.  Besides being late they add a late fee which by law here can only be as high as $25. Now as far as CA law it stands to reason and l can't imagine CA law being that much different.  When your late they have to tell you at the time you are late. What l suggest since you did not say anything about the note you received in detail.  The HOA had to tell you which months you were late.  Just a note without documentation is BS. Most places use an attorney office to collect past dues.  Funny thing here which is really out of line.  Is that your HOA waited this long to tell you about being late. If the HOA uses a management company to run the community you need to start off there first.  But in they end just because a place tells you that YOU OWE back dues I would question everything they say.  I will let you in on a small secret. Be it a Condo asso or a HOA. the boards of these assoc know that the people who own a home there know nothing about the states rules or even the asso rules.  So what they do is bluff everyone or scare people into controlling what they want you to do.  If you read your assoc rules and regulations l would bet you would know more than most board members.  Sorry that is the best l can help you out with.  QUESTION EVERYTHING AND ASK FOR PROOF

Condo Law

STUART FISHER