Condo Law/Can you clarify legal terms?

Question
Stuart,

Thank you so much for volunteering your legal advice, I truly appreciate it.   I need some advice about the best way to proceed with a claim.    I hired a lawyer about a situation in my condo where there was a breech of contract by the property manager.  The breech caused me $5000 in damages.      My lawyer said I have a good case.   I am hesitant because the property manager is a large company and have more lawyers and more money than I do.

My lawyer is thinking like a lawyer, but every word out of his month is equal to a dollar sign.   I am out $5000, but if I am going to pay $4500 in legal fees, then it is not worth it to proceed on principal alone.   Legal fees can quickly add up.

My lawyer has been throwing lots of terms out like: arbitration, mediation, litigation, small claims court.     I am not knowledgeable about those aspects.  What is the difference?  What are the typical expenses associated with each one?   What about higher court costs?    What is an appeal?    Does the defendant have to share the court fees with me?  

I just need to research these options to make the best decision for my situation.   Can you please clarify some of these terms for me and describe the difference between each one?

Thank you so much for your time and expertise!

Sunny

Answer
First sorry l am late in replying l just signed onto my emails.    As far as condo law l can only talk about Florida where l know condo law.  However what you are talking about l am able to generalize.  It would have been easier if l knew the problem.   So with that said l will do my best to give you some kind of a answer.  Basically there are only a few things you are talking about

1.  This is where you and the other party sit down with a third person.   You tell this person your side of the problem and the other party gives their side of the problem.  The third person will listen to both sides and decide who is right and who is wrong.  Then you must go by the third persons desision.

2.   Small Claims Court is where you without the use of a lawyer bring your case in front of a judge who heard both sides and he will decide the winner.  Small Claims Court are meant for people bringing a suit of $3000 to $5000.  

3.   The last is Lidagation is where all party's go to court .  This will cost you a lot

Now if you don't mind l have a few things running across my mind that l need to ask.  If the read you correctly Are you part of a Board of Directors of a association ?  If so you should have a lawyer from the association. One big advise l will tell you.   Since you did not give me any info about the issue I will assume it's a condo association problem.   If it is a association problem what l tell people is read and know the condo rules and regulations.  If what they did is not in the documents then you win.  Sorry not knowing anything these are the best answers l can give you.  Write back if you need more help

Condo Law

STUART FISHER