Conducting/2+3 and 3+2

I noticed a question that had already been asked about this but I have additional questions I'd like to ask about it  I am currently at a summer camp for aspiring drum majors and my instructor briefly brought this up.
How do you know when a rythm is 2+3 or 3+2?
Also, what do they mean? What is the plus sign for?
Thank you

Hi, Heather, thanks for writing.  2+3 and 3+2 is when you have 5 beats in a measure.  When you have 5 in a measure, you would normally conduct it as 2 and then 3 in each measure or 3 and then 2 in each measure (and 7 is usually 3+4 or 4+3).  To conduct it, look at the rhythm of the measure.  If it is 5/4 time, it might have a half note followed by a dotted half-that would be 2+3.  Or it might have a dotted half followed by 2 quarters-that would be 3+2.  Look at the rhythm and see which way it seems to subdivide, and conduct it accordingly.  Write anytime.

Kenneth Renshaw

Answer questions about conducting patterns, performance practice, expression marks and conducting, and basic instrument/vocal practice

Past/Present clients
Adjunct Instructor-Three Rivers Community College, taught over 200 private music students, frequent performer.