Conducting/2+3 and 3+2

uncle duke wrote at 2013-06-18 23:41:08
We were taught to just simply count , , etc.  5/4 means 5 beats to a measure (5) and the 4 means a quarter note gets one beat. Hence 5/4 time. I didn't realize drum music had half notes-quarter notes. That's new to me but I was a brass player back in the day. Here's my opinion about your instructor though- he/she is blowing smoke and wasting time with a question like that. Get a score for "Take Five" and remember to count , for each measure. The 2+3-3+2 method might work but that is like going back and reinventing the wheel. It (take five) can move pretty quickly after learned. The teacher we had said back in the late  50's-early 60's he and others tried different ways of counting 5/4 and the above method was the simplest. We learned it in 1983-84.  

Kenneth Renshaw

Answer questions about conducting patterns, performance practice, expression marks and conducting, and basic instrument/vocal practice

Past/Present clients
Adjunct Instructor-Three Rivers Community College, taught over 200 private music students, frequent performer.