Conifers/Pencil pines

Hi Jim,
I love the look of pencil pines and would love to know more about them. I have planted some in a garden bed that is 500mm wide, will that be enough space for this plant?
How big do the roots get? There is a pool on one side 2.5m away and a retaining wall on the overside which it could grow under. Would that possibly work or will i be pulling them out within time?

Cheers Teena

If I read this correct you are saying the planting space is 500mm wide or about 20 inches less than 2 feet wide. IF SO No this is not enough space for a tree to be planted in. The roots will extend out about 1 1/2 times the branch length. They will be fine now but as they grow they will soon out grow this space.

Jim Hyland

Registered Forester in the Southern US with 30 years experiance in managing pines. Expert in pine forest health from management to control of pests to ID of species.