Conifers/Leyland Cypress White Dots #2

QUESTION: Mr. Hyland:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the tree in question is paler (lighter green) than all the others. Even without the white dots it does not appear as healthy as the others.

ANSWER: The pale green is more than likely a result of the need to fertilize the tree. I would try 10-10-10 fertilizer at the rate of 1 lb. per inch of trunk diameter scattered around the tree and watered in good. Apply just before a rain event and you will not need to water. This should green up the tree.

QUESTION: Thank you so much.  Very quick response and great information!  My final question is it normal for only one tree to produce the cones when we have so many, and this is the first time it has ever happened since we moved into the house in 2009.

I would say it sounds normal. Many reasons that a tree will produce cones. Weather and age of the tree are the two main ones. Genetics has a lot to do with which tree produces at what age. Conifers produce cones at irregular rates so one year you many have many cones and other years none. Stress sometimes triggers cone production. Within these parameters, I would say it sounds normal.  

Jim Hyland

Registered Forester in the Southern US with 30 years experiance in managing pines. Expert in pine forest health from management to control of pests to ID of species.