Conifers/digging close to cedar hedge

Hi JIm, I have a ceadr hedge in my backyard that came to maturity this past summer (8½ feet tall) and I`m having an in ground pool installed this summer. How far from the hedge can I dig safetly without affecting the roots?

Montréal, Quebec

They have fibrous root systems and are usually no deeper than about 2 feet. The spread (width) is about 1 1/2 times the width of the foliage Exp. the limbs reach out about 4 feet from the trunk  so the roots will be out about 6 feet. Trees can survive as long as not more than 20% of the roots are damaged. Remember it is not only the hole for the pool but also the cement around the pool and the construction. Keep the construction away for the cedars so their root will not be damaged. IF this can not be done it will be best to take the hedge out and replace after the construction of the pool and walkway around it. I hope this helps.  

Jim Hyland

Registered Forester in the Southern US with 30 years experiance in managing pines. Expert in pine forest health from management to control of pests to ID of species.