Conservative Judaism/Conservative Jewish Clothing

Hello Rabbi,
I was wondering, how to Conservative Jewish Women have to dress, can they wear pants, or do they have to wear long skirts like the Orthodox? And do men always have to wear a head covering, and a tzitzit? I'm asking these questions, because me and my family were raised as non observant Jews, but we are now currently, looking for a sect of Judaism to join!!!

Dear Samuel,

Thanks for writing.

Please let me encourage you to overlook "clothing" for yourself and your family and begin meeting with representative Rabbis of the various movements or denominations (preferred terms to "sects" of Judaism).

Yes there are stricter, more fundamentalistic denominations with their own sub-divisions and identifications (Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, Ultra Orthodox, Hassidic) and more modern groups, one of which is Conservative / Masorti Judaism which is historical and blends modernity with tradition.

These meetings with various Rabbis can in part help you find and establish a relationship with a person who can mentor your family and is close to your values and emotional intellectual searching. In addition, you probably all need an adult Jewish education - that's in contrast to the education received as children in a religious school, if that.

Judaism is an intellectual as well as faith and commandments religious way of life. Informed affiliation and then adoption of a movement and one of its synagogues - and synagogues in the same denomination will also frequently have different "characteristics."

If you need assistance in finding a congregation and/or a Rabbi please let me know

Rabbi Dov

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner

Write to me with questions about Jewish customs and law, history, philosophy and tradition for answers from a Conservative perspective or conversion. I am a graduate of The Jewish Theological Seminary and a member of the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly. Having served in congregational pulpits since 1970, I now am President of the Foundation For Family Education, Inc. a non-profit educational endeavor. I established it to create new formats of hands-on programs and provide free educational downloads at In addition to general informational questions I welcome your questions about programs for social action, outreach to dual-faith families, inter-faith clergy projects, healing services, education for conversion, adult education for the congregation and the community. If you have questions about Informal and Formal Education I am ready to share my extensive experience with Youth Activities, Camping and Religious School/Hebrew High School on a congregational, community and national/international level.

I have served on the National Youth Commission for more than 25 years and serve on the Boards of the Conservative Zionist movement MERCAZ and the World Council of Synagogues. I have always dual-families and taught candidates for conversion with a great sense of fulfillment. I am very proud of 25 years on the Jewish camping staff of Camps Ramah. My greatest source of pride is my family! Ask me about them, please!:-)