Conservative Judaism/noun

Question
What is the common noun used to refer to the wife of a rabbi?

Answer
Dear Thomas,

Thanks for writing.

The most well-known terms for the wife of a Rabbi - and this used to be very simple - is "rebbetzin" which is Yiddish.

Another term in modern Hebrew is "rabbanit" which you'll also find some people using.

The complication today is the "new" Rabbinate in the liberal Jewish world.

First of all, there are women Rabbis, and hence the challenge - what do we call the spouse of the Rabbi, which has led to many jokes.

Secondly, there are gay and lesbian couples one of whom is a Rabbi - and occasionally both are Rabbis. How do we address the partner of a gay male Rabbi or a lesbian femal Rabbi - of they are not Rabbis themselves?

Got it?

I think that the easiest way may be to ask the Rabbi how you should address their spouse or partner.  Of course, "Mr." "Mrs." or if they have a professional title use that, e.g. "Dr."

Good luck - it's a new world.

Rabbi Dov  

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner