Conservative Judaism/Jewish Funeral For a Scientologist

I am very confused as to why Scientologist David Gaiman was allowed to have a Jewish funeral and memorial service. Given that he was quite a prominent Scientologist as well, wouldn't he have been considered a kofer and thus unable to have a levaya?

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for writing.

In general, it is a principle that a Jew, even if he sins, remains a Jew and is treated accordingly, Talmud Bavli Sandhedrin 44a.

Jacob Katz has written that the interpretation of this statement has changed over time (Halakhah ve-Kabbalah, pp. 255-269) .

Originally the statement was referring to the "People Israel," and not an individual.  During the Middle Ages  the phrase took on the halakhic=Jewish legal meaning of, “Even though a Jew may sin, even convert from Judaism, they are still a Jew,”  following Abraham Berliner, attributing the change in meaning to Rashi (11th century) and the context of conversions, both to and from Judaism.

Thus, I can understand a Jewish community respecting even a convert from Judaism with a Jewish funeral and burial.

However, today there are Rabbis who do respect an adult decision to convert out of Judaism even as we respect the decision of someone not born a Jew to formally convert to Judaism from another faith. There are some who would deny the Jew the choice to convert out of Judaism.

Best wishes

Rabbi Dov

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner

Write to me with questions about Jewish customs and law, history, philosophy and tradition for answers from a Conservative perspective or conversion. I am a graduate of The Jewish Theological Seminary and a member of the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly. Having served in congregational pulpits since 1970, I now am President of the Foundation For Family Education, Inc. a non-profit educational endeavor. I established it to create new formats of hands-on programs and provide free educational downloads at In addition to general informational questions I welcome your questions about programs for social action, outreach to dual-faith families, inter-faith clergy projects, healing services, education for conversion, adult education for the congregation and the community. If you have questions about Informal and Formal Education I am ready to share my extensive experience with Youth Activities, Camping and Religious School/Hebrew High School on a congregational, community and national/international level.

I have served on the National Youth Commission for more than 25 years and serve on the Boards of the Conservative Zionist movement MERCAZ and the World Council of Synagogues. I have always dual-families and taught candidates for conversion with a great sense of fulfillment. I am very proud of 25 years on the Jewish camping staff of Camps Ramah. My greatest source of pride is my family! Ask me about them, please!:-)