Conservative Judaism/Ancient Writings

Question
Hi Rabbi.

I have read that whole libraries of as many as 30 thousand clay tablets from very old civilizations have been found and have been and are being translated providing us with a lot of information previously unknown or which verify some of what is known.

This to me is very interesting and informative.

I was wondering why libraries of Israels ancient writings on clay tablets have never been found?

Thank You
Murel

Answer
Dear Murel,

Thanks for writing.

The answer(s) are very long articles.

Consider this URL:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/ejud_0002_0021_0_21120.html

In the newer Encyclopedia Judaica 2007 you will find the remainder of this article:

SCRIPTS AND MATERIALS
General Survey

From the end of the third millennium B.C.E., the art of writing was practiced in the ancient Near East (see *Alphabet ). Here, the pictographic, cuneiform, and hieroglyphic scripts were invented and developed. In particular Canaan, situated on the cultural crossroads between Egypt and Mesopotamia and beneficiary of their scribal traditions, produced new indigenous writing systems. Some, like the Byblian pseudo-hieroglyphs, the enigmatic Balua stele, or the inscribed bricks from Deir ʿ Allā, ancient Succoth, were limited to specific centers. These short-lived systems indicate a high degree of scribal experimentation and originality. It is no wonder then that the Canaanites invented the alphabet. They discovered that their language contained some 30 phonemes and that each one could be represented by an individual sign. The social effects of this revolutionary discovery were not to be felt for several generations.

Between the 17th and 12th centuries B.C.E., the primitive, pictograph-like alphabet was employed in Shechem, Gezer, Tell al-Ḥāsī, Tell al-ʿAjūl, Beth-Shemesh, Megiddo, Tell Rehov, Tell Beit Mirsim, and Lachish. These inscriptions are generally called Proto-Canaanite. Another, larger group, the so-called Proto-Sinaitic inscriptions (1500 B.C.E.) were probably written by a colony of northwest Semitic slaves who worked the mines in Wadi Ma'ara, near Sarābīṭ al-Khādim. It seems that this script generally served a religious function and may have been developed by a Canaanite priesthood. Certainly, all official government documents were written in cuneiform (e.g., el-Amarna letters) which obscured the alphabetic script.

It was during this period that a novel attempt to employ the alphabet was initiated at *Ugarit (13701200 B.C.E.). Perhaps as a result of the desire to express the local literature in its own medium, a cuneiform alphabet, influenced by the

Rabbi Dov

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner