Conservative Judaism/Tzitziyot on One's Belt As An Alternative To A Tallit Katan

Rabbi Lerner:

I have read of some who wear or even attach tzitziyot onto their beltloops as an alternative to wearing them on a tallit katan. Given that I observe the mitzvah of wearing tzitziyot and don't always have the choice as to whether or not I wear a tallit katan, would wearing a belt with tzitiyot on it be acceptable as an alternative? Please let me know. Toda!

Dear Nicole

Thanks for writing

Fringes are a Biblical commandment to be tied on the four corners of all square

In the interest of enabling some who feel so obliged the custom of wearing an artifical
garment - the tallit katan - a four-cornered garment onto which one would thus tie the four

In my opinion - ask your own Rabbi - wearing a belt with the four tzitzit or fringes or
tying them onto belt loops of pants is entirely inconsistent with the wearing of the
fringes. Tallit katan or nothing - if you must.

Thanks for writing and check with a local authority if you have one.

Best wishes

Rabbi Dov

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner

Write to me with questions about Jewish customs and law, history, philosophy and tradition for answers from a Conservative perspective or conversion. I am a graduate of The Jewish Theological Seminary and a member of the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly. Having served in congregational pulpits since 1970, I now am President of the Foundation For Family Education, Inc. a non-profit educational endeavor. I established it to create new formats of hands-on programs and provide free educational downloads at In addition to general informational questions I welcome your questions about programs for social action, outreach to dual-faith families, inter-faith clergy projects, healing services, education for conversion, adult education for the congregation and the community. If you have questions about Informal and Formal Education I am ready to share my extensive experience with Youth Activities, Camping and Religious School/Hebrew High School on a congregational, community and national/international level.

I have served on the National Youth Commission for more than 25 years and serve on the Boards of the Conservative Zionist movement MERCAZ and the World Council of Synagogues. I have always dual-families and taught candidates for conversion with a great sense of fulfillment. I am very proud of 25 years on the Jewish camping staff of Camps Ramah. My greatest source of pride is my family! Ask me about them, please!:-)