Conservative Judaism/practices

Is it true that orthodox jews change their blinds and or other window coverings according to the females menstrual cycle? Please tell me about this and why. Im a 45c year old christian and live near a large population of orthodox jews.

Dear Michael,

Thanks for writing.

First of all, I've never heard of such a custom or practice let alone a law or rule. So much for either my knowledge as a traditional Rabbi for 50 years or my ignorance!  :-)

Secondly, such a practice would overtly violate the modesty surrounding a married woman's menstrual cycle. You should know that a married menstruating woman will go to a ritual bath after roughly a week of cessation of her period before resuming sexual relations with her husband.

The rules surrounding the building of a mikveh - housing of the ritual bath pool(s) - require as much privacy as possible such that no one except the woman who serves as a matron at the mikveh knows who is coming to the mikveh - appointments are made privately and discreetly - to mark the end of their menstrual period.

How could a home advertise publicly using their shades or blinds the menstrual status of a wife?

To me it would be a complete violation of modesty - and someone may be pulling your leg.

Best wishes

Rabbi Dov

Conservative Judaism

Rabbi Barry Dov Lerner

Write to me with questions about Jewish customs and law, history, philosophy and tradition for answers from a Conservative perspective or conversion. I am a graduate of The Jewish Theological Seminary and a member of the Conservative Rabbinical Assembly. Having served in congregational pulpits since 1970, I now am President of the Foundation For Family Education, Inc. a non-profit educational endeavor. I established it to create new formats of hands-on programs and provide free educational downloads at In addition to general informational questions I welcome your questions about programs for social action, outreach to dual-faith families, inter-faith clergy projects, healing services, education for conversion, adult education for the congregation and the community. If you have questions about Informal and Formal Education I am ready to share my extensive experience with Youth Activities, Camping and Religious School/Hebrew High School on a congregational, community and national/international level.

I have served on the National Youth Commission for more than 25 years and serve on the Boards of the Conservative Zionist movement MERCAZ and the World Council of Synagogues. I have always dual-families and taught candidates for conversion with a great sense of fulfillment. I am very proud of 25 years on the Jewish camping staff of Camps Ramah. My greatest source of pride is my family! Ask me about them, please!:-)