Console Games (Nintendo, Sony etc.) and Arcade Games/metroid NES

Question
I see screen shots of this game in full color, but when I play it on my NES console it is black and white. I know there is the grey version and the yellow version, is one in color and the other not? or are the color screens im seeing from emulators? or am i doing something wrong? let me know

thanks

Answer
You are correct, there are two different versions of this game. The original old style cartridge has the pixelated Samus and enemies on the front on a gray background. The other is an actual piece of artwork with Samus in a kneeling pose brandishing her arm cannon on a yellow background. Which one you have has no effect on whether you see color or not. They are exactly the same game internally.

The NES is famous for having graphical glitches happen for all sorts of reasons. That's where the infamous cartridge blowing thing began, after all. There were blinking screens, single color screens, scrambled graphics, no graphics, game freezes, spontaneous resetting, as well as no color.

My guess is that your cartridge, your system, or both, are very dirty. Or your system is just having a hard time reading the game. (Which probably also has to do with it being dirty.) My recommendation is to wet a Q-tip or two and clean off the connectors on your cartridge. You can then use a slightly damp cartridge to clean your console by inserting it and pulling it in and out a few times, then recleaning the game again. I should not have to mention this, but make sure you unplug your console before you do this. Then just let it all dry for a bit.

That should solve your problem. If it doesn't, then try recleaning the console and game a few more times. You'd be surprised the grime that gets accumulated on those old NES games over the years. Especially if they do not have the sleeves. Even then, they got really dirty just due to use. Metroid was made in 1987, so theoretically, you could have 25 years worth of gunk that may be crustified on that game of yours. Those front loading NES consoles could be as old as 27 years, and aren't exactly easy to clean, either.

If that for some reason still doesn't solve your issue, send me another question and we'll figure something out.

Console Games (Nintendo, Sony etc.) and Arcade Games

gameusurper