Console Games (Nintendo, Sony etc.) and Arcade Games/First M for mature rating

Question
Many people believe Mortal Kombat was the first but I checked the ESRB website and it was never even rated. What was the first video game to receive an M for Mature rating for the ESRB?

Answer
Many people consider mortal kombat to be the first M rated game because nothing as graphic had been released until then. However MK was released in 1992 and it was the reaction to that game which caused the ESRB to be formed in 1994. So the "first" M rated game officially would be Night Trap on SEGA CD. Apparently at the end of the game you have to rape a native woman. I wouldn't know because I never played that game but there is your answer.  

Console Games (Nintendo, Sony etc.) and Arcade Games

Trent Crutcher