Construction & Contractors/Safe Distances from a Blasting Quarry

Joe wrote at 2015-04-29 18:52:51
Look up seabee quarry and blasting safety manual.  Look in the appendix under ff=safe distance. You will find a safe distance chart for quarry/pit blasting that gives safe distance for pounds of explosives used.  Say you have 1500 pounds of explosives you times the weight by 1.5 and in this case you get 2,250ft is the safe distance. It's the us navy and army blasting manual and in the first few pages states that it mirrors civilian blasting practices and the first explosive they list after the ff section is gg section and the explosive is ANFO=ammonia nitrate + Fuel Oil.  The manual is online and not classified.

Construction & Contractors

Robert Cummings, P.E.

I can answer questions related to rock blasting, rock and soil excavation (such as tunnels and highway cuts), stability of such excavations, and foundations in rock and soil. I can also answer questions related to geology and mining.

30+ years as a geotechnical engineer and minerals engineer. Active consulting practice in rock blasting, geotechnical engineering, and rock mechanics for mining and heavy construction.

Society of Mining Engineers, Deep Foundations Institute, Association of Engineering Geologists, and International Society of Explosives Engineers.

Mining Engineering, AEG Bulletin.

BS and MS Geological Engineering