Construction & Contractors/Blue stone set over concrete slab

Question

I am re-finishing an already finished basement in a home I recently purchased. The poured foundation was built in 1985 and has no visible signs of water intrusion or cracks in the slab. I am planning on installing a wood stove to cut some of the cost of heating with oil. I want to use 2'X2'X1-1/2" blue stone slabs as a base for the stove. I would like to know, what is the best method for setting the slabs onto the poured concrete floor?

Answer
Brandon,
You can use the thinset method. Use a heavy body thinset for "Thick Bed" applications.
Use a 1/2"notched notched trowel to apply thinset to concrete. Also use notched trowel to back butter each tile. Press tiles into mortar bed and use 1/4"joints.  You should pre-seal bluestone using a quality sealer like HMK S34 Impregnator.
This will make grout cleanup easier.
Best regards,
Torin Dixon
800-380-6881

Construction & Contractors

Torin Dixon