Construction & Contractors/Blue stone set over concrete slab

I am re-finishing an already finished basement in a home I recently purchased. The poured foundation was built in 1985 and has no visible signs of water intrusion or cracks in the slab. I am planning on installing a wood stove to cut some of the cost of heating with oil. I want to use 2'X2'X1-1/2" blue stone slabs as a base for the stove. I would like to know, what is the best method for setting the slabs onto the poured concrete floor?

You can use the thinset method. Use a heavy body thinset for "Thick Bed" applications.
Use a 1/2"notched notched trowel to apply thinset to concrete. Also use notched trowel to back butter each tile. Press tiles into mortar bed and use 1/4"joints.  You should pre-seal bluestone using a quality sealer like HMK S34 Impregnator.
This will make grout cleanup easier.
Best regards,
Torin Dixon

Construction & Contractors

Torin Dixon

Questions concerning Natural Stone Fabrication and Installation including: Marble, Granite, Limestone, Slate, Soapstone, Bluestone, and Travertine in Slabs and Tiles. Expert in natural stone cleaning, sealing, protection and restoration. Distributor of HMK Stone Care Products; Sealers, Cleaning Products, Stone Maintenance. Expert in stone and tile flooring, sealing and maintenance issues. Stain removal from stone. Importer and Distributor of slab stone for residential and commercial applications. Stone carving Stone restoration

I have worked in the Dimensional Stone Industry since 1977.
California Contractors License 1989
Former owner of Prestige Marble & Tile (So. Calif.)
Current owner of Elegance in Stone (Missoula, MT)
Current Owner of Montana Stone Gallery,LLC Missoula, MT
Owner of Distributor of natural stone maintenance products

Missoula Building Industry Association
Montana Building Industry Association
Flathead Building Association
National Association of Home Builders
Member of the Marble Institute of America
Former member of the National Tile Contractors Association

Slippery Rock Gazette-Stone Industry Publication

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers and Allied Craftsman Union #2
California Contractors License 1989-1997
Montana Contractors Registration #70932IC
Importer of natural stone slabs. Owner-Director of Montana Stone Gallery a regional Importing and Distribution company located in Missoula, MT

Thousands of commercial and residential installations of stone slabs and tile in bathrooms, kitchens, showers, flooring, fireplaces over a 34 year professional career.