Construction & Contractors/Leak in travertine shower wall

Hi Torin, I had a very porous travertine shower wall installed > I found out today that the leak is coming from the holes in the lower tiles. Is there a sealant or coating that can be used to solve this problem? I am desperately in search of answers.

A properly designed shower will not leak because of the type of finish materials installed. The prep and setting materials, pan liner, waterproofing that is the real problem. With many porous materials like all travertine, limestone, and many soft marbles, are by nature NOT impervious. All tile materials depend on a properly installed waterproof underpayment system to have a long lasting, non-leaking shower.

Unfortunately,  there must be problem BEHIND the travertine that is to blame and must be remedied to give you the quality installation you paid for. This is what is called in the trade and legal world as a "Latent Defect", and must be remedied.

Sorry for the bad news.

Construction & Contractors

Torin Dixon

Questions concerning Natural Stone Fabrication and Installation including: Marble, Granite, Limestone, Slate, Soapstone, Bluestone, and Travertine in Slabs and Tiles. Expert in natural stone cleaning, sealing, protection and restoration. Distributor of HMK Stone Care Products; Sealers, Cleaning Products, Stone Maintenance. Expert in stone and tile flooring, sealing and maintenance issues. Stain removal from stone. Importer and Distributor of slab stone for residential and commercial applications. Stone carving Stone restoration

I have worked in the Dimensional Stone Industry since 1977.
California Contractors License 1989
Former owner of Prestige Marble & Tile (So. Calif.)
Current owner of Elegance in Stone (Missoula, MT)
Current Owner of Montana Stone Gallery,LLC Missoula, MT
Owner of Distributor of natural stone maintenance products

Missoula Building Industry Association
Montana Building Industry Association
Flathead Building Association
National Association of Home Builders
Member of the Marble Institute of America
Former member of the National Tile Contractors Association

Slippery Rock Gazette-Stone Industry Publication

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers and Allied Craftsman Union #2
California Contractors License 1989-1997
Montana Contractors Registration #70932IC
Importer of natural stone slabs. Owner-Director of Montana Stone Gallery a regional Importing and Distribution company located in Missoula, MT

Thousands of commercial and residential installations of stone slabs and tile in bathrooms, kitchens, showers, flooring, fireplaces over a 34 year professional career.