Construction & Contractors/Answers required to complete dissertation

1. What is your opinion about integrated project management? Requesting his personal experience in the topic?
2. What do you think about the rapid development of construction industry especially in the residential sector in developing nAtions?
3. If the integrated management system is implemented will it make any difference in the residential construction?
4. How do you feel about the residential construction? Trying to get the negative reasons about the construction process
5. What are the major delay causes in residential construction? Highlight some causes experienced?
6.  Give me the 5 top delay reasons affecting productivity in residential construction
7. What are the remedies do you think would help to avoid the mentioned causes in order to enhance productivity?
8. How the procurement process is influencing delays in construction
9. How to frame the significant bid invitation and bid selection process to help productivity?
10. One open question why traditional contracts are considered to be one Reason causing delays in construction?
11. Would you like to add anymore point to make the research better?

1. Integrated project management has been used under a number of different situations on different projects called by many different names. At my firm we provided preconstruction services along with construction services and we attempted to coordinate the activities of the design team, the construction team, the owner and the permitting authority. We called it team build. Our primary tool was a schedule that was updated regularly. We also developed comprehensive meeting notes with action items and personal responsibility for these actions. We used Building Information Modeling and detailed review of plans to coordinate the work as the design develops. We also do comprehensive reviews of design documents before they are released to bidding community.
2.My experience is limited to US. Limited knowledge of construction in developing nations. From reading the paper I would be concerned about lack of codes, safety issues and work force quality as well as quality of raw materials and finished goods.
3.Yes especially if the project is large and complex.
4.Residential construction has many challenges including complex legal issues. We did multi family primarily with limited custom construction. It is more complex in many ways than commercial construction and people tend to be more particular about the quality of their residence than their office. We were a union contractor so could not compete in single family housing construction as our workers and subcontractors get paid more than non union workers. I did build a house several years ago for myself and found that the workers were generally less technically skilled and the subcontractors less well organized than their commercial counterparts.  There is also an aversion to putting anything more than the minimum on paper. Most of the work is coordinated in the field as you go instead of up front in a model or on documents as you would do in IPD.
5/6.Delays in residential construction: Lack of planning (most subs can't and won't participate in developing or using a project schedule). Lack of resources, most subs have limited men and supplies so they respond to whoever yells the loudest. Lack of quality causes rework. Lack of documented design and specs lead to work that can be unsatisfactory. Lack of documentation; most subs don't closely read the contracts they are sent and may not comply with contract requirements. Lack of adequate safety programs sometimes result in injury which can also cause delays. Many residential contractors do no have sophisticated schedules and do not always order long lead time items on time.
7. Better planning and scheduling from general and subcontractors, better documentation of expectations, more samples or standard of quality, better training for workers, better safety programs, better control of long lead items.
8. See above
9.The bid packages need to be accurate and comprehensive to get appropriate bids. Subcontractors should be prequalified for financial capability, insurance coverage, performance and safety performance. Evaluations of bid results needs to be comprehensive. Schedule expectations should be shared and committed to.
10. Traditional contracts don't usually have a contractor at the table. So the design team does not have the practical feedback of the practitioner when detailing the work. Much better to have collaboration during design effort. Also better cost control when contractor is partnering during design.
Any omissions to the documents in a bidding environment will turn into change orders or claims later, these claims can be for time or cost or both.
11. The comments above are based on my experience in the Western US. Local conditions may vary.

Construction & Contractors

Lee Kilcup

Can answer most questions regarding estimating, contracting, project delivery, strategic planning and business management for commercial building construction contracts and companies. Not a lot of knowledge about residential or heavy/ highway projects.

Past/Present clients
Microsoft, Quadrant(Weyerhauser), Nintendo of America, Overlake Hospital, Adobe Systems, REI