Construction & Contractors/slate verses blue stone countertops

Question
I am trying to decide on a kitchen countertop, slate or bluestone.  I live in PA and have access to quarries for both.  I am wondering about the durability/stain absorption of slate countertops.  Have heard different comments as to the pros and cons, love the look of slate, But have recently heard of bluestone being used, but not much on its care/durability.  

Thank you
Than
Can you give me an idea as to which would be more practical.

Answer
Karen,
Thank you for your question.
Both Slate and Bluestone are quite suitable for countertops with the understanding that they MUST be properly sealed to prevent stains.
I find Bluestone to be more porous and requires more applications of sealer (impregnator) than does slate.
In either case, I would apply a minimum of two coats using a professional grade impregnator. I have used the HMK Stone Care brand for more than thirty years and find it provides the best protection.
For more information, please see http://hmkstonecare.com and for ordering info, see http://stonecareonline.org

If I were to install bluestone, I would suggest using the HMK S244 Color Enhancer plus HMK S234 Impregnator. This will provide a deep color enhancing and give you adequate protection from spills and stains.

If you like the color of the stone in the natural state, then only use the HMK S234 Impregnator, as it is relatively invisible once it dries.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Best regards,

Torin Dixon

Construction & Contractors

Torin Dixon