Construction & Contractors/slate verses blue stone countertops

I am trying to decide on a kitchen countertop, slate or bluestone.  I live in PA and have access to quarries for both.  I am wondering about the durability/stain absorption of slate countertops.  Have heard different comments as to the pros and cons, love the look of slate, But have recently heard of bluestone being used, but not much on its care/durability.  

Thank you
Can you give me an idea as to which would be more practical.

Thank you for your question.
Both Slate and Bluestone are quite suitable for countertops with the understanding that they MUST be properly sealed to prevent stains.
I find Bluestone to be more porous and requires more applications of sealer (impregnator) than does slate.
In either case, I would apply a minimum of two coats using a professional grade impregnator. I have used the HMK Stone Care brand for more than thirty years and find it provides the best protection.
For more information, please see and for ordering info, see

If I were to install bluestone, I would suggest using the HMK S244 Color Enhancer plus HMK S234 Impregnator. This will provide a deep color enhancing and give you adequate protection from spills and stains.

If you like the color of the stone in the natural state, then only use the HMK S234 Impregnator, as it is relatively invisible once it dries.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Best regards,

Torin Dixon

Construction & Contractors

Torin Dixon

Questions concerning Natural Stone Fabrication and Installation including: Marble, Granite, Limestone, Slate, Soapstone, Bluestone, and Travertine in Slabs and Tiles. Expert in natural stone cleaning, sealing, protection and restoration. Distributor of HMK Stone Care Products; Sealers, Cleaning Products, Stone Maintenance. Expert in stone and tile flooring, sealing and maintenance issues. Stain removal from stone. Importer and Distributor of slab stone for residential and commercial applications. Stone carving Stone restoration

I have worked in the Dimensional Stone Industry since 1977.
California Contractors License 1989
Former owner of Prestige Marble & Tile (So. Calif.)
Current owner of Elegance in Stone (Missoula, MT)
Current Owner of Montana Stone Gallery,LLC Missoula, MT
Owner of Distributor of natural stone maintenance products

Missoula Building Industry Association
Montana Building Industry Association
Flathead Building Association
National Association of Home Builders
Member of the Marble Institute of America
Former member of the National Tile Contractors Association

Slippery Rock Gazette-Stone Industry Publication

Journeyman Marble Mason, Bricklayers and Allied Craftsman Union #2
California Contractors License 1989-1997
Montana Contractors Registration #70932IC
Importer of natural stone slabs. Owner-Director of Montana Stone Gallery a regional Importing and Distribution company located in Missoula, MT

Thousands of commercial and residential installations of stone slabs and tile in bathrooms, kitchens, showers, flooring, fireplaces over a 34 year professional career.