Construction Industry/Interview required to complete my dissertation

Question
HI Sir, I am doing my dissertation on Integrated Project Management to enhance sustainable construction in the residential sector of India. Kindly review my personal interview questions and give you answers.

1. What is your opinion about integrated project management? Please share your personal experience in the topic?
2. What do you think about the rapid development of Indian construction industry especially in the residential sector?
3. If the integrated management system is implemented will it make any difference in the residential construction of India?
4. How do you feel about the residential construction? Give me the major drawbacks about the Indian construction process?
5. What are the major delay causes in residential construction? Highlight some causes experienced?
6.  Give me the 5 top delay reasons affecting productivity in residential construction
7. What are the remedies do you think would help to avoid the mentioned causes in order to enhance productivity?
8. How the procurement process is influencing delays in construction
9. How to frame the significant bid invitation and bid selection process to help productivity?
10. One open question why traditional contracts are considered to be one Reason causing delays in Indian construction?
11. Would you like to add anymore point to make the research better?

Answer

14th Nov 2013, 12 noon.

Dear Mr. Saravana Bharath,

Thanking you for your patience and understanding.

Here’s our reply to your queries:

1.

What is your opinion about integrated project management? Please share your personal experience in the topic?

Integrated Project Management would broadly comprise of the following:

a.   Every member of the Construction Team is aware of their Role, Responsibilities and overall Aims - Objectives of the Project.
b.   The Project Plan is complete and is acceptable to all parties. The Plan takes into account all possible risks in the project, in a pragmatic manner.    
c.   All documents – drawings – specifications – Bill of Quantities are coordinated and complete.  
d.   Finally, an online – real time platform, wherein all the concerned parties can share information, for faster / effective decision making, where necessary.    

2.

What do you think about the rapid development of Indian construction industry especially in the residential sector?

The Indian Construction Industry is largely an ‘unorganized’ sector. The urgent need for mass housing has further fueled the ‘rapid’ / ‘unplanned’ growth adding to the existing problems of the ‘unorganized’ sector. The Government of India is trying to regulate some parts of the Industry through laws like:
a.   The Building & Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act,1996
b.   The Building & Other Construction Workers Welfare Cess Act, 1996.      
However, on the whole the Indian Construction Industry has a long way to go.

3.

If the integrated management system is implemented will it make any difference in the residential construction of India?

In the long run, yes. It requires a complete change in Mind-Set of Architects – Engineers – Contractors & Construction Project Managers.    

4.

How do you feel about the residential construction? Give me the major drawbacks about the Indian construction process?

Some of the major drawbacks of the Indian Construction Industry:
a.   Risks related to pricing of major commodities like – Cement, Steel, etc. (cartelization of the commodities is a major concern here).  
b.   Risks related to transportation costs – petrol and diesel prices are deregulated and prices vary on a daily basis.
c.   Safety & security related issues of the Workers / Labourers.
d.   Lack of interest in Mechanization of the construction process, since manual labour is considered to be ‘cheap’ in India.
e.   Lack of interest in creation and maintenance of an online platform since ‘mistakes’ will be immediately apparent to all.         
f.   Others

5.

What are the major delay causes in residential construction? Highlight some causes experienced?

With reference to the above, kindly note the following:
a.   The Construction stops to re-negotiate pricing of the Items of the Contract citing price volatility and / or ‘unaccounted’ increase in petrol and diesel prices.
b.   Accidents during the construction leads to labour unrest leading to stoppages at work   
c.   Manual processes are slow. Un-seasonal climatic conditions could further add to delays.
d.   Decision making is slow in the absence of all the data on the common platform, etc.  

6.  

Give me the 5 top delay reasons affecting productivity in residential construction

As mentioned above.

7.

What are the remedies do you think would help to avoid the mentioned causes in order to enhance productivity?

a.   ‘Transparency’ and ‘openness’ during the entire process of construction  
b.   Need to work as a Team to achieve the ulterior aims of the project
c.   Faster decision making.
d.   Others

An integrated on-line / real-time platform might be a solution to some of the major challenges today.

Some State Governments are slowly moving towards such platforms for their state. E.g. Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, etc.   

Traditional contracts and bidding systems do not encourage ‘transparency’ and ‘openness’. The volatile   
Indian Market (pricing of steel / cement, Petrol and Diesel, etc) is further adding to the current woes. Under the circumstances the procurement process is currently ‘risky’ for all concerned further delaying the decision making process.

11.

Would you like to add anymore point to make the research better?

A number of things could be discussed / shared.

However, one needs to clear about the aims, objectives scope, limitations of the study and time available at hand.

If you feel that I could be of help to you, we could figure out a way of working in future through my email id – indranil@brae.in or any other way deemed necessary.  

Hope that this answers, some of your immediate doubts / queries.

Please feel free to rate …

Thanking you, in anticipation,

Yours sincerely,
For, BR Architects & Engineers Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore

Indranil Bhattacharya

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Nov 13, 9:15 am.

To,

Mr. Saravana Bharath,
UK.

Dear Sir,

This is to acknowledge receipt of your trailing e-mail and questions within...

I would require 2 - 3 days to revert on the same.

Hope that you'll kindly bear the delay in reply.

Thanking you, in anticipation,

Yours sincerely,
for, BR Architects & Engineers Pvt. Ltd.,

Indranil Bhattacharya,
Architect & Project Manager
www.brae.in  

Construction Industry

Indranil Bhattacharya