Construction Industry/Ceiling load calculation

Question
I recently had a 60' x 40' pole shed built. I am currently constructing an apartment inside of it, roughly 800 sq ft. I have erected all of the interior and exterior walls using 10' 22 guage metal framing studs. I was originally going to install the drywall ceiling on the trusses used to frame the roof of the pole building was told that they would rise and fall significantly with season changes and would deteriorate my ceiling over time. I have therefore opted to build a ceiling on the metal framing that I have erected. My main concern is the living area. It measures roughly 19' x 21'with no interior wall to break up the span. I have a 2 x 6 wall that separates the garage from the apartment and then all of the other exterior walls are framed within the existing framing of the pole barn exterior walls with 10' 2 x 4's.  I am considering using a 3" x 11" laminate beam to span the 19' and support it on 3 wood 2 x 4's. My question is about the ceiling joists that will span from the outside walls to the beam. If they are 16" on center resting above the wall studs do you think the metal studs will carry the weight of this framing along with the drywall. Also should I use wood for the joists or can I use more metal framing, and if I use the metal framing what gauge would you recommend? I hope all that made sense.

Answer
Hello John,

Please excuse my delay in responding.  The holidays are time consuming.

As to your building:  I have used all kinds of materials for partitions, walls, ceilings, etc. and I prefer wood.  It is the easiest to modify or shape  and has sufficient strength to support most conditions.  Metal, although lighter, requires self-tapping screw attachments or the members must be pre-drilled in order to assemble framing.  

Assuming the laminate beam is of sufficient strength to span 19' I would recommend using two beams which will reduce the 21' span to approximately 10' which can be spanned with a 2"x 8" wood joist.  Check on the Internet for the recommended size of steel stud for a ceiling joist.  The shape and gauge will determine the proper steel stud for this application.

If you had an Architect or Engineer prepare your working drawings, they would specify the proper member to be used and the method of attachment. I suggest you have your drawings reviewed by a Structural Engineer to ensure the safety of your framing.  The cost would be nominal compared to the cost if you were to have a joist failure.

I hope this has been helpful.

Roger  

Construction Industry

Roger Zona