Construction Industry/Job as engineering reviewer with residential developer

Question
Hi Roger,

I recently had a telephone job interview with a small residential developer operating close to where I will be living after graduating school (next month woohoo!!!).  The position is in a privately-held company, ie no shareholders, with only 5 full-time staff to speak of--if I recall correctly, there's the president, the PM/architect, a bookkeeper, a site supervisor, another field person and the secretary. I'd be the sixth person Roger.  The company has sold over 500 homes since its inceptions and the president is also a trained/licensed civil engineer.  They are looking to hire a recent engineering grad to gradually take over/perform the function of quality-control and inspection with respect to the full civil engineering design packages they receive from the civil engineers and must submit to local government agencies for review/approval.  I was told, this role is currently being performed by the president but he wants more time to do other functions so they would like to hire an engineering grad to take over; does not require any design work, only inspecting, correcting and making suggestions to improving designs prior to submission to local agencies; basically, minimizing errors and minimizing the length of the approval process.  

Roger, as someone who wants to someday be a real-estate developer, what do you think of this job?

Also, one thing I'm don't fully get Roger is why are they not looking to hire a professional licensed engineer if that's the case? If they have sold 500 homes in the past, I'm pretty sure they could afford one right?  It would seem to make sense since they would have to train me anyway.  A licensed engineer would cost more than me but wouldn't it be worth it to the developer if it improves business?

Also, but of lessor importance, since the president is also a licensed engineer, if I took the job and did occasionally do any engineering work under/supervised by him, I could count it towards the 4 years experience that I need in order to get my own engineering license down the road. (The "P.Eng" designation wouldn't hurt, right?) But I doubt this job will allow me to design or do much engineering; it sounds like I will be doing a lot of quality control work!?!?

What do you think Roger? Is this job is worth taking?  If I don't take it, I could keep looking for work with other developers.  The pay for this job is about 10% more than what other grads in my class are getting offers for.

As always, thank you so much for volunteering Roger!  Great to see you are still on Allexperts :)!!!

Mike

Answer
Hi Michael,
I think you should try to find a position with a Civil Engineering firm.  You may not get to actually design at the beginning.  It's not unusual for a rookie employee to check the field and verify the work completed payment.  You will see how a site contractor works.  Being a developer/contractor can be a difficult road to take.  I began my career as an Architect.  I knew how a building is assembled but I had to learn how to coordinate trades and where to economize.  
I soon found that there was more profit in developing and land deals rather than construction.  For example:  a 40 acre site costs $60K.  Zoning allows 4 homes per acre.  That's 16 home lots.  Development costs approximately $25K per lot.  That's approx $40K per lot.  Sell the lots to a home builder or maybe three or four builders for $60K and you profit by $20K per lot or $320,000.00.  This can happen in one year.  
Building 16 homes with one start per month and a completion time of five months per house is 17 months.  If the homes sell for $300,000, the builder probably has a profit margin of 7% or $21,000 or $336,000.  The builder has a much larger staff and higher overhead.
All the Civi Engr I know either own a firm or are planning on having their own firm.

There is no firm rule or plan to follow.  I wish you all the success you hope for. I apologize for the delay in responding.  Last week was hectic.  I am working on a $30,000,000 project that is very close to closing.  It was difficult getting financing.

I hope this was hopeful.

Roger

Construction Industry

Roger Zona