Construction Industry/Question.

Question
Good day
With reference to land development can you refer me to any practical manuals, resources etc. on the topic ie. including grading plans and steps involved
Also can you refer me to any land development quality manuals and do you know of any indian books/ manuals that give a practical how to do step by step approach on how to develop land that one can obtain online.

Answer
Dated 16th June 2014.

Dear Sir,

Greetings from BR Architects & Engineers Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore.

This is to acknowledge receipt of your trailing query.

However, I’m not sure whether you’re enquiring as Land Developer / Architect / Civil Engineer or you’re just curious to know the process of ‘land development’. …

At the moment, I would like to put forth the following, for your kind information:

Point no. 1:

There is NO UNIVERSAL SET of GUIDELINES for Land Development. The process of land development is site specific and state specific - for example what applies for Karnataka State does not apply for Tamil Nadu State or Kerala State in India.  

Point no. 2:

The process of land development depends upon the topography / contours / heights and levels of the land, existing vegetation / trees, water-bodies, wells, approach roads, existing utilities (electrical, water supply, sewage connections), if any and so on.

Ideally, one should start with a Topo-graphical Survey Map done professionally by Surveyors. They usually provide a drawing in CAD Format along with 3 sets of hard - copies.

Point no. 3:

Secondly, it is important to do a Geo-Technical Analysis of the Site. Tests conducted at site and at laboratory helps to establish the quality (physical & chemical) of soil, the presence of rock and water, if any.

The seemingly expensive tests help in detailed planning and reduce RISKS during the actual construction process. .

Point no. 4:

Once the above works are completed, one can get down to detailed planning in line with the specific client requirements and the statutory requirements of the state / country.

Please feel free to revert, with further queries, if any.

Yours sincerely,
For, BR Architects & Engineers Pvt. Ltd.,

Indranil Bhattacharya
www.brae.in  

Construction Industry

Indranil Bhattacharya