Construction Industry/research topic

Question
QUESTION: i m interested in risk management in construction industry as a research topic but i m having problem defining objectives and scope.

ANSWER:

Dear Mr. Arsalan,

Hello & Greetings from Bangalore, India.

We understand that you are interested in Risk Management as a Topic for further Research.

As far as ‘Risk in Construction Industry’ is concerned the ‘sky is the limit’.

‘Risks’ could be defined either in terms of
1.   Time
2.   Cost
3.   Quality or
4.   ‘n’ number of permutations & combinations of point no. 1,2 or 3 above
5.   Plus, one could look at a construction site - country specific risks considering the scale of the project - geographical, geological, political conditions and so on.

On could even look at the above issues either in terms of an Employer (/ Owner), Engineer or a Contractor adding a further level of dimension to the research.     

As I said the ‘sky could be the limit’. However, real-time ‘data’ for case-studies may not be easy to come by and needs meticulous planning.  

Please feel free to revert, if you need any further help.

Also, please feel free to RATE me ...

Thanking you, in anticipation,

Yours sincerely,

Indranil Bhattacharya
Architect - Construction Project Manager
www.brae.in    

QUESTION: sir initially my research topic was "risk management practices in local(karachi) construction industry adopted by contractors" but my department raised the issue that a research project has been done with probably same topic you have to come with relatively new idea or specific direction.sir if you please could take your time and suggest me some specific topic or direction i will be very thankfull to you and thanks for your previous response.

Answer
Dated 8th Feb 2015, 7:45 am,

Dear Mr. Arsalan,  

Good Morning and many thanks for your ‘rating’ .... .

I’ll be glad to be of help to you.

However, please note that it is not easy to get hold of REAL - LIFE Case-Studies or actual data from Construction Site.

The Construction Team would either politely ‘refuse’ or simply ‘lie’ to you because they would not want you to know the ‘truth’ / their ‘failures’ and reveal it to the world.     

I would request you to first find out contacts in 3 or 4 Medium / Large Size Construction Companies in Karachi Area before planning the next steps forward.

It would be very risky to plan the topic in detail and then find out that NOBODY is willing to give you the necessary data in the specific area of research.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 'indranil@brae.in'

Thanking you, in anticipation,

Yours sincerely,

Indranil Bhattacharya  

Construction Industry

Indranil Bhattacharya