Construction Industry/Testing of sand & crushed aggregate for water supplp project

Question
Dear Sir, I hope you are fine. My question is related to the testing of the natural material (sand and crushed aggregate) for a water supply project. The Engineer instructed the Contractor to test the natural sand and crushed aggregate to be used as ingredients for concrete of water tank, booster pump stations and water treatment plant, to prove and show that these natural material have no injurious effects for human health, if the water is used for drinking purpose. The Contractor argues for no testing requirements of the natural material (sand and aggregate of structure concrete), but it is only the end product (final water quality) which is treated by the standard methods and thereafter tested for suitability as drinking water. Do the WHO Standards stipulate the requirements for such testing? The Contractor however agrees that only the synthetic material such as elastomeric and GI water stop, cement, steel bars, admixtures, curing compounds, formwork releasing agents etc. shall be provided with manufacturer's certificate to show that these are harmless for drinking water and can be used in water supply project. These certificates may be even tested by a Third Party, if the Engineer is not satisfied with the manufacturers certificates.
Please guide me on technical grounds with reference to international practices. Regards

Answer
Muhammad
each country has it's standards be aware of
as a retired contractor  the contractor appears to understand the situation the engineer (whoever he represents)appears to be incompetent

natural materials sand and stone  would appear to be acceptable 99% ok there are instances where the soil could have been contaminated by certain types of businesses leaving waste after operations

in the US the environmental protection agency would designate that  an area may be contaminate with hazerous materials these h materials in the soils would be grounds to reject the building materials

the contract documents may spell out the requirements and the cost for testing  in most cases the owner would pay or reinburse the contractor for the cost CONTRACT RULES 99% OF TIME

GOOD LUCK

JON E

Construction Industry

jonewall