Construction Law/Quantification

Quantification of earthworks road cross sections by using average end area method.
.question:for example the station 3+000 has cut quantity 20 cubic meters and next station 3+020 has fill quantity 15 cubic meters. our consultants are being calculate the cut volume from (suppose) 2+000 to 3+000 and next fill volume from 3+020 to ahead. i am confused about volume between 3+000 to 3+020.

Dear Raja,

Let me first apologise for answering your question late. It was due to EID holidays.

Measurement and quantification of earthworks are generally made via average depth indicated in the cross sections over  specific length or distance. In graphical surveying representations of depths in road works; stations are indicated by their meter+millimeters measurements. such as 3+020; which means 3 meters and 20milimeters. This is usually read with leveling staff. the meters is usually a reference point or benchmark from which certain reference must have been established in relation to the road levels for either the finished level or other formations and layer levels. in 3+020 for example; it means your datum or reference point is 3+000 and then, for a cut of 20mm depth, the staff or instrument will read 3+020; and for a cut of 200mm depth, the staff or instrument will read 3+200 and so on.

In a nutshell, the cut or fill established in the reading is usually in milimeters and not cub meters. you will need to calculate the cubic meters of the total cut material by using the length to multiply the width and then the cut depth.

Where the station varies in depth of cut or fill; the reading will still follow the normal style except you move your instrument or viewing position where the benchmark or datum reading would need to be re-established.

Your surveyor can assist to practically demonstrate this to you.

I hope i have helped.

Construction Law

Femi Alofe

I can answer all questions relating to the followings: 1. Contract Administration - variations, contract clauses interpretation, all post contract procedures, valuations and certificates questions, extension of time issues and prolongation cost matters. 2. Contract Practice - Any questions regarding forms of contract like JCT, FIDIC & other Bespoke forms. 3. Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems. 5. All FIDIC Conditions of contracts

Out of my 24 years experience in construction industry, i have the following specific experience: 1. Contract Administration - 15 years in contract administration with over 10yrs in Managerial positions covering africa and the middleeast. 2. Contract Practice - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions covering africa, north america and the middleeast. 3. All pre-contract procedures, Tendering, Quantification, measurements and Estimating questions - 20 years experience. 4. Contracts and construction law questions and dispute resolutions problems - 15 years experience with over 10yrs in Managerial and expert positions and 5 years expert witness and active practice in arbitration proceedings covering africa and the middleeast.

1. FAIQS - Fellow, Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, Australia 2. FRICS - Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, UK 3. CCP - Certified Cost Professional AACEI, USA 4. PQS - CIQS, CANADA 5. ACIArb. - CIArb, UK 6. MNIQS - NIQS, NIGERIA 7. RQS - QSRBN, NIGERIA

1. AACEI RP on Estimating, 2010

1. B.Tech (QS) 2. RICS professional course, CEM - UK 3. MSc , UK NARIC 4. Professional Doctorate ( to commence 2016)

1. Larsen & Toubro Ltd, Dubai UAE 2. Larsen & Toubro (oman) LLC 3. Archi + Web consortium, Abuja Nigeria 4. George Dike & Associates, Minna Nigeria 5. Public works Authority (Ashghal), Doha Qatar