Construction Law/CAR Insurance - FIDIC 99 1st Editioon

Question
Hi Peter,

CAR Insurance.....just need some clarification with regards to the defects liability period and Insurance coverage.

Is there a requirement to have a joint names policy for the Contractor and Employer during the DFL Period to cover ALL of the insurance items required during the Contract Periodand at the same levels of coverage...???

the Contractor is required to take full responsibility for any loss or damage during the DFL period as a result of a defect or outstaniding 'work' at the time of taking over by the Employer.

If he has some outstanding 'work' which is normally minor works is he still required to include the Employer and provide the same coverage..i.e. 3rd Party Insurance / Property Damage etc...???

FIDIC Clauses refer to 'the works' when Taking Over Certifcate is issued and at this time responsibility passes over to the Employer....therefore it is reasonable to imply that the 'Care of the Works' is no longer applicable. and Insurance of 'the Works' also....except for the potential Loss / Damage arising from a defect.

This just leaves the DFL Period Insurance requirements, so if a contractor has a policy in place in his name alone for this period, would this be acceptable....????

Answer
Dear Neil,

Once the Taking Over Certificate has been issued, the Employer is responsible for insuring the works against any damage.  As it is after the issuing of the Taking Over Certificate, the Contractor merely needs insurance as required by legislation and to cover his acts and those of his employees and agents, such as employer's liability, workers compensation, third party, damage to his plant and equipment by third parties, etc. Thus I would see no need for the insurance policy to be in the name of the Employer, unless there is something in the Special Conditions.  

Construction Law

Peter M. Elliott